Does dye kill lice: As we have anticipated, more and more people are trying hair dyes to eliminate the lice that have invaded their scalps.
But does the dye eliminate lice and nits, or is it a false myth?
The answer to this question is that this hair dye DOES kill lice but does NOT eliminate nits, that is, the eggs that these parasites incubate in our hair.
Hair dyes, especially those that contain ammonia, are a product that is characterized by their high chemical composition. Due to these ingredients, the dye has insecticidal properties that attack the neurological system of lice, killing them.
However, nits (especially those incubating for less than 3 days) have not fully developed this system, so this hair product does not affect them. Therefore, more lice will be born again and continue to infect your scalp.
To permanently remove dyed lice, that is, also eliminating the nits, it is necessary that after applying this product, we use a specific fine comb to remove these insects from the hair called a nit comb.
To do it correctly, follow these simple steps:
- Apply the dye to the roots as explained in the product instructions.
- When you have rinsed it, you must use the nit comb with the hair still wet.
- You must brush the hair in small sections to remove the nits with several passes.
- It would be best to clean the nit comb with wipes every time you change sections.
- Finally, when you have brushed all the hair, boil the brush in a pot to disinfect it.
Hair treatments to eliminate lice
Although the dye with the nit comb can be an effective trick against lice, home remedies should complement the treatments we can buy in pharmacies or the doctor prescribes. Among the anti-lice treatments that we can use to end this infection, we find:
- Anti-lice shampoo and lotions: these treatments can be purchased at any pharmacy without the need to go to the doctor. These types of shampoos are characterized by containing substances such as pyrethrin or permethrin, which have insecticidal properties that eliminate these parasites. To know how they are used, you must follow the instructions that come with the product.
- Medications for oral use: this type of drug will be used under medical prescription and only when the previous treatments have not worked. They generally last approximately 8 days and should never be administered to children who weigh less than 15 kilos.
- Medications for topical use: like the previous ones, they are also purchased under medical prescription. However, these types of drugs are applied to the scalp. Usually, the doctor will prescribe treatments such as malathion, benzyl alcohol or ivermectin lotions, and topical spinosad suspension.
Natural remedies to eliminate lice and nits
In addition to the treatments that your doctor has assigned you or the lotions purchased at the pharmacy, you can also use some of the following natural remedies against lice to enhance the insecticidal effects of the medications:
This plant has repellent properties due to its strong odor, which is unbearable for these insects and will finally cause them to flee from the scalp. In addition, it also has disinfectant properties that deeply clean the hair and prevent it from reappearing.
Boil a few eucalypti leaves for 5 minutes, then let them sit off the heat for 5 more minutes. When the infusion is cold, and you have strained it, apply the remedy to the hair with a gentle massage. Finally, rinse your head with lukewarm water.
Lavender essential oil
As with the previous remedy, the lavender essential oil has an aroma that repels lice. In addition, due to its high alcohol and acid content, this remedy has a tremendous toxic effect on these insects.
To use it, apply it all over the scalp and gently massage it in circles on your hair for a few minutes. Let it act throughout the night.
Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil is considered one of the most effective natural remedies against this infection since it has excellent antibacterial and antiseptic properties that detach lice from the hair and prevent their appearance.
Mix 10 drops of this oil in water, then add the remedy to a spray bottle. Apply the mixture for 30 minutes, then wash your hair with the anti-lice shampoo.